God opposes the proud. He hates pride so much that He has a lot to say against it in His Holy Word, the Bible. Pride is among the sins that the Lord hates too much, along with sexual perversity and idol worship (actually, He hates all kind of sin). Why is this so? Is it wrong to find satisfaction in one’s own image, accomplishments, abilities and resources? The thing is, pride drifts us away from focusing more on God and instead we focus on ourselves. We make ourselves an anchor to depend onto, rather than depending on the Lord.
Here are some Scripture verses that speaks how the Lord hates pride.
1. I will break down your stubborn pride. Leviticus 26:19
2. For the sins of their mouths, for the words of their lips, let them be caught in their pride. Psalm 59:12
3. When pride comes, then comes disgrace, but with humility comes wisdom. Proverbs 11:2
4. Pride only breeds quarrels, but wisdom is found in those who take advice. Proverbs 13:10
5. Pride goes before destruction, a haughty spirit before a fall. Proverbs 16:18
6. A man’s pride brings him low, but a man of lowly spirit gains honor. Proverbs 29:23
7. The LORD Almighty planned it, to bring low the pride of all glory and to humble all who are renowned on the earth. Isaiah 23:9
8. But when his heart became arrogant and hardened with pride, he was deposed from his royal throne and stripped of his glory. Daniel 5:20
9. The LORD detests all the proud of heart. Be sure of this: They will not go unpunished. Proverbs 16:5
10. Before his downfall a man’s heart is proud, but humility comes before honor. Proverbs 18:12
Pride is a serious sin. It is not just about elevating yourself to boost your self-confidence. It is actually elevating yourself to be in the level of God, or worse better than Him.